Thursday, September 24, 2009

11. Disguise


As I expected, my old friend Al the Used Shell Salesman popped up as soon as I got close to his shell lot. He smiled broadly and welcomed me warmly, also as I expected--I guess used shell salesmen are all pretty much alike...

"Constable Crab, you old son-of-a-gun! Good to see ya again! REALLY GOOD! Now--What can I do ya for?"

"Al there is something suspicious going on around here and I want to get to the bottom of it!"

"Why sure, Consatable! I'm yer man--as always! Shoot yer request!"

"It is simple, Al--I need to borrow one of your shells."

"Surely yer not gonna become a HERMIT crab, Consyable? Not after all these years as a lawman!?"

"No, Al--much simpler than that! I need a shell to use as a DISGUISE. I am going to have to go undercover to find out what's going on!"

"Anything I can do, Constaboil! I'm yer man, as I said before! No charge! Free Gratis! Take yer pick! I suppose yer wants one of the latest models? Right over hear I've got some DOOZIES! They're LOADED!"

"Just something simple, Al. And I expect I'll only need it overnight. And could you deliver it over to a place near the Opihi Colony, please?"

"Natch, Constabibble! I'm yer man! How about that white number over there at the back of the lot! It's NICE! When shall I drop it off?"

"That will do just fine, Al. If you drop it off this evening before nightfall, please. I would like to be snugly installed inside it before dark..."

"DONE, Constabill! It shall be there or my name is NOT Al the Used Shell Salesman, Ha! Hah!"

We shook on the deal and I went off to prepare for the night's adventure.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment