Thursday, August 27, 2009

3. Mysterious Markings


A lady mollusk shyly opened the shell.

"Yes?" she asked.

Good morning, Ma'am--I am Constable Crab. I noticed some marks on your shell and was a bit concerned. They look almost like words--but not quite--so I was wondering what they meant..."

"Marks?" She said. "I am not aware of any marks. And of course you know that we mollusks can't see the outside of our own shells. It's the way we're built."

"Of course, Ma'am--but I assure you that there ARE some strange marks on your shell. Do you know how they got there--or why they are there?"

"I'm afraid I don't know anything about it, Constable. What do you think I should do?"

A few shrimp had gathered nearby to see what was happening so I asked one of them to confirm for the mollusk the fact that there was indeed some marks on her shell before I replied.

"Oh yes, Mum." stated one of the shrimp--"There is indeed some strange markings on ya's shell! Never saw anything like it!"

"As to what you should do about it", I continued--I guess nothing. If it doesn't bother you--well, it is no trouble to me either. Thank you for your cooperation and have a pleasant day!"

And I continued my early morning walk.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment