Monday, August 1, 2011

18. First Meal


Starry and I arrived before six o'clock in the refectory for the evening meal. Friar Kew, who was also there early,  showed us to our places.

When he came in, Master Walter acknowledged us with a smile and a nod but said nothing.


The monks, filing into the refectory in silence,  took their assigned spots at the trestle style tables which were laid out in a large u-shaped pattern. Each stood behind his chair and waited until Master Walter, who stood behind his chair in the center of the top tables of the pattern, said a short prayer.

Then we all sat silently waiting to be served by other monks taking their turns with the duties of the kitchen.

When Master Walter gave another signal, everyone began eating. A monk who stood behind us on a raised platform started reading from an uplifting  book. There was no private conversation at all.

The food was vegetarian, simple and tasted very good to me.

When Master Walter was finished, he rose and stood behind his chair again and everyone did the same. He pronounced another short prayer and the monks  filed silently out of the room, but he touched my sleeve and made a gesture that he would like to speak to me. 

When the room was empty except for Master Walter, Starry and myself he quietly said, "I have heard about the formation of your larger committee-- an excellent idea and I wish you good progress. Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Starry or I may be absent from your Chapter meeting this evening and, with your permission, we may leave the monastery tomorrow morning for a short visit to the village with Friar Montague."

"You have my permission. Good luck."
 

...

No comments:

Post a Comment