Tuesday, July 5, 2011

22. Setting a Trap


After the cellar commotion nothing unusual happened for the rest of the night. 


Clarence returned to his quarters and Starry and I went back to the kitchen and finished our snack. When morning was breaking we returned to our rooms and caught up on some sleep.

I was fairly happy with the way our investigation of the haunting of Heavenly Abode was progressing.

The ghost was performing right on schedule and behaving exactly as a ghost should--staying one step ahead of us and making all the right ghosty moves--convincing me that the problem was NOT a ghost.



The whole household had been awake again during the cellar excitement and I knew that everyone was feeling stressed and on edge and in need of a good night's sleep. 

So the next morning after breakfast I spoke to Angela privately. 


"Angela, I think I know now for certain that your problem is not supernatural. But you may have to make some changes in the way you live and you may have to face some difficult decisions because of the "ghost" haunting Heavenly Abode. Are you ready for some hard changes?"


"I'm ready to do whatever is necessary, Constable. Especially now that Charles is here I feel twice as strong and determined as before."


"Very good. Then here is what I want you to do. I am going to have Starry spend the night watching in the cellar until the ghost appears again--so I want you to spread the word to your staff that Starry will stand watch in the cellar until further notice. You can also tell them that  I will personally watch the rest of the house--inside and out. 

No croquet for Starry or I today--we will be resting up for tonight's vigil. And no big dinner for us this evening either--you can have the cook prepare some midnight rations for us if you will. 

Charles should stay with you in your bedroom for your protection--
and keep your door locked. 

That's all." 




...

No comments:

Post a Comment