Thursday, July 7, 2011

34. Stake-out


Next morning, when I met with Angela, I asked her to notify her staff that Starry would watch in the basement and I would stay in the Attic that night--and that we would sleep all day to be alert and ready. 

But that evening, being careful and quiet as mice so we would not be observed by anyone, we made our way to the empty bedroom where the harp was located. 

I was convinced that there was no ghost and that whoever was impersonating the specter would avoid the places where Starry and I were supposedly lurking but could not resist the opportunity to haunt somewhere in the house--and I was guessing that the familiar spare bedroom would be the place.

Fortunately for our stake-out, there was a large table in the bedroom covered by a heavy dust-cloth which reached the floor all the way around--a perfectly snug hiding place.

The cook had fixed some nice picnic rations for us too--so as night fell we waited, silently and quite comfortably, for something to happen.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment